Re: Error with tcp/ip networking

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Travis Bauer <trbauer(at)cs(dot)indiana(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error with tcp/ip networking
Date: 2000-08-31 14:15:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Travis Bauer <trbauer(at)cs(dot)indiana(dot)edu> writes:
> Well, there were two other copies of postgress running, and at least one
> was tying up port 5432, but . . .
> I couldn't see them with 'ps' or 'ps -a',

ps -a only lists processes that it thinks are spawned from interactive
sessions. You need ps -ax to see everything on the system.

> netstat did not list them as using a port,

Actually I think netstat only shows open connections, not processes
listening for connections. Does anyone know a (reasonably portable)
way of seeing which port numbers are being accept()ed on?