Re: pgaccess: russian fonts && SQL window???

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: tolik(at)aaanet(dot)ru (Anatoly K(dot) Lasareff)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgaccess: russian fonts && SQL window???
Date: 2001-01-13 06:37:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

tolik(at)aaanet(dot)ru (Anatoly K. Lasareff) writes:
> Two questions about pgaccess. I use tkl/Tk 8.2, Postgresql 7.1,
> FreeBSD 4.0 .

> 1. I cannot view russian text in russian when I use pgaccess. I set all
> the fonts in 'Preferences' to
> -cronyx-helvetica-*-*-*-*-17-*-*-*-*-*-koi8-* , but don't see russian
> letters in 'tables' and others windows. The texts are really in
> russian, DBENCODING is KOI8.

Hm. We've had a couple of reports recently that suggest that there's
a character-set-translation problem between Postgres and recent Tcl/Tk
releases --- which seems to describe your problem as well. I have an
unproven suspicion that this is related to Tcl's changeover to UTF-8
internal representation, because the reports have all come from people
running Tcl 8.2 or later. But no one's done the work yet to understand
the problem in detail or propose a fix. Want to dig into it?