Re: why postgresql over other RDBMS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Harpreet Dhaliwal <harpreet(dot)dhaliwal01(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>, Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: why postgresql over other RDBMS
Date: 2007-05-26 18:33:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
> Harpreet Dhaliwal rta:
>> is the host base configuration methodology in postgres superior to
>> other RDBMS.

> If you ask me, yes. When I had to choose between MySQL 3.x and
> PostgreSQL 6.5 a long ago and I was able to exclude the DB superuser
> with REVOKE CONNECT from MySQL, I said "no, thanks".
> I did it on purpose to prove that you can the external configuration
> is better in this case.

> And apart from fixing pg_hba.conf after you move the machine,
> PostgreSQL is quite location agnostic network-wise.

MySQL has a related problem, which is that they have embedded IPv4
addressing rather deeply into their client authentication logic (by
making userids be user(at)host not just a username). This is probably why
they still haven't got IPv6 support:
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=8836
I wonder what their plans are for fixing that ...