Re: Auto-vectorization speeds up multiplication of large-precision numerics

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Auto-vectorization speeds up multiplication of large-precision numerics
Date: 2020-09-07 01:44:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I did as above. Attached is the v2 patch.

I made some cosmetic changes to this and committed it. AFAICT,
there's no measurable performance change to the "numeric" regression
test, but I got a solid 45% speedup on "numeric_big", so it's
clearly a win for wider arithmetic cases.

It seemed to me to be useful to actually rename CFLAGS_VECTOR
if we're changing its meaning, so I made it CFLAGS_VECTORIZE.