Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add note that using PL/Python 2 and 3 in the same session will

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add note that using PL/Python 2 and 3 in the same session will
Date: 2010-07-07 21:31:52
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> On tis, 2010-07-06 at 18:15 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> At this point it seems clear to me that we've not adequately thought
>> through the implications of having two python versions in one
>> application namespace, and I'm not sure the Python people have either.
>> I think we need to do something to block that from happening, at least
>> until we have a plausible way to make it work.

> How about this?

Yeah, I was going to suggest something involving
find_rendezvous_variable to let the two versions of plpython check for
each other. But doesn't the error need to be elog(FATAL)? If you just
elog(ERROR) then the conflicting version of python.so is already loaded
and able to cause problems. elog(FATAL) isn't very desirable maybe
but it beats crashing.

Minor grammatical nit: I think "session has previously used" would read
better in the errdetail.