Re: Getting non_NULL right-side values on a non-matching join?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ken Tanzer <ken(dot)tanzer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Getting non_NULL right-side values on a non-matching join?
Date: 2013-11-23 17:21:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Ken Tanzer <ken(dot)tanzer(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 2:20 AM, Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)dalibo(dot)com> wrote:
>> Chapter 15 of our documentation handles installing from source.
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/installation.html

> Thanks for the link. I really do appreciate all the documentation that
> Postgres has put together. In this case I especially like the short
> version provided, which covers part of what I was looking for. It would be
> great if there were a similar page that addressed how to set this up
> side-by-side with an existing installation, and had a cheat sheet for
> pulling in build tools and libraries. (As in, on Cent OS run "yum install
> x y z...", Ubunutu "apt-get install a x z".) I get that the build
> environment and libraries are outside of the scope of Postgres proper and
> maybe unfair to ask it be documented, but they're still steps people have
> to go through. If they were included in that short version format, it
> would be fantastic!

FWIW, I think this is outside the scope of Chapter 15, and especially
outside the scope of the short version ;-). If you're not wanting to
do the /usr/local approach, you're most likely wanting to build a
replacement for some distro-supplied packaging of Postgres. There
are too many of those, and they change too often, for us to be able
to provide reasonable instructions for that in our formal docs.
Moreover, 99% of what you need to know for that is not PG-specific but
distro-specific.

Perhaps it'd be worth setting up page(s) on our wiki about this, though?
The question certainly comes up often enough.