Re: pg_dump --> restore loses constraints/triggers?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Murtagh <christopher(dot)murtagh(at)mcgill(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump --> restore loses constraints/triggers?
Date: 2003-02-17 23:29:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Christopher Murtagh <christopher(dot)murtagh(at)mcgill(dot)ca> writes:
> We've seem to come into a problem with some of our referential integrity
> checks, and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

> To upgrade our DB from 7.1 to 7.3 I did:
> pg_dump --create dbname > backup_file.sql

Which pg_dump did you use? I think 7.3's pg_dump would translate the
7.1 trigger-based representation correctly, but 7.1's wouldn't know
any better than to emit CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER commands.

(But as far as I know, the constraint triggers ought to *work*, they
just won't look pretty. Please define "broken".)

If you still have the 7.1 server running, you can try re-dumping with
the newer pg_dump; otherwise you'll probably want to drop all those
triggers and create foreign key constraints manually :-(.