Re: Two novice questions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jonathan Chum <jchum(at)techdevelopers(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Two novice questions
Date: 2001-01-15 02:18:25
Lists: pgsql-novice

Jonathan Chum <jchum(at)techdevelopers(dot)com> writes:
> PostgreSQL said: ERROR: DROP DATABASE: Database "blazeboard" is being
> accessed by other users

It's difficult to see how you could get this error unless there is at
least one backend connected to the target database. Check for
background processes you've forgotten about, etc etc.

> My second question is that I have created a table with a column, FID.
> However, when I SELECT FID FROM table, it will result:

> blazeboard=# SELECT FID FROM forum;
> ERROR: Attribute 'fid' not found

What does "\d forum" show as the column name?

If you created the table along the lines of
create table forum ("FID" int, ...);
then all subsequent references to that column name will have to be
double-quoted as well. Unquoted names are implicitly folded to lower
case ... quoted ones are not.