Re: Move passwords between databases

From: Raj Mathur <raju(at)linux-delhi(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Move passwords between databases
Date: 2003-06-16 15:54:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

Tom> Raj Mathur <raju(at)linux-delhi(dot)org> writes:
>> Using Postgresql 7.2.3 on Linux, is there an easy way to
>> transfer user passwords from one database to another?

Tom> You could look at what pg_dumpall --globals-only does.

Tried that, doesn't seem to work (this is on a single system):

mdu=# alter user raju with encrypted password 'raju';
ALTER USER
mdu=# select passwd from pg_shadow where usename='raju';
passwd
-------------------------------------
md5ef70c430d5ed1ed52bd2ae960bb8ebe4
(1 row)

mdu=# create user xxx with password 'md5ef70c430d5ed1ed52bd2ae960bb8ebe4';
CREATE USER
mdu=# \q
[raju(at)mail raju]$ psql mdu xxx
Password: <enter 'raju' here>
psql: FATAL 1: Password authentication failed for user "xxx"

>> I have an application that creates data (and users) centrally
>> and then distributes them to remote databases. I can transfer
>> everything else, but do not know how to transfer MD5 passwords.

Tom> AFAIK you can just do it. The CREATE or ALTER USER command
Tom> should recognize the password as already encrypted and not
Tom> munge it. Are you sure you are using the correct pg_hba.conf
Tom> setup on the destination system?

The entry is the same in both:

local all md5

The application updating the passwords is running locally on both
systems.

Any clues?

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur raju(at)kandalaya(dot)org http://kandalaya.org/
GPG: 78D4 FC67 367F 40E2 0DD5 0FEF C968 D0EF CC68 D17F