Re: Disable WAL logging to speed up data loading

From: movead li <lchch1990(at)sina(dot)cn>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Takamichi Osumi <osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Disable WAL logging to speed up data loading
Date: 2021-01-13 03:46:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I read the patch and have two points:

1. I do basebackup for database then switch wal level from logical to none to logical and
of cause I archive the wal segments. Next I do PITR base on the basebackup, as a result
it success startup with a waring said maybe data missed.

Because the 'none' level is to bulkload data, do you think it's good that we still support
recover from a 'none' wal level.

2. I just mark wal_level as 'none' but fail to startup, it success after I drop the publication and
it's subscription,mark max_wal_senders as 0, drop replicate slot. I think it worth to write how
we can startup a 'none' wal level database in document .