Re: --single-transaction hack to pg_upgrade does not work

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: --single-transaction hack to pg_upgrade does not work
Date: 2012-12-01 17:00:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> The attached patch does just that. Its *not* ready yet though, as it
>> will be apparent for everyone who reads it ;)

ISTM this sort of thing ought to be safe enough, though you probably
need to insist both that the pg_type row's xmin be current XID and
that it not be HEAP_UPDATED.

>> To really make that work in a reliable manner we would probably need
>> an rd_createSubid for typcache entries instead of testing xmin as I have
>> done here?

What's more reliable about that? For one thing, cache entries can get
flushed. The relcache goes to some lengths to hang onto rd_createSubid
anyway, but I don't want to put equivalent logic into typcache.