Re: [HACKERS] BUG #3799: csvlog skips some logs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: depesz <depesz(at)depesz(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] BUG #3799: csvlog skips some logs
Date: 2007-12-08 21:25:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> One issue here is that CONTEXT is potentially multiple lines. I'm not
>> sure that there is much we can do about that, especially not at the last
>> minute. If we had some time to rewrite internal APIs it might be fun to
>> think about emitting that as array of text not just text, but I fear
>> it's much too late to consider that now.

> I'm not sure that putting all this into a single extra field would be so
> wrong. As for an array of text, that doesn't seem very portable. I don't
> think we should assume that Postgres is the only intended program
> destination of CSV logs.

Well, I don't see that "{some text,more text,yet more text}" is going
to be harder to cram into the average CSV-reader than "some text
more text
yet more text". However, in most cases split_to_array on newlines
would be a good enough way of deconstructing the field in Postgres,
so maybe it's not worth worrying about.

Anyway, I think that we should just make the CSV fields be the same as
the existing divisions in the textual log format, which seem to have
stood up well enough in use since 7.4 or whenever we put that scheme in.