psycopg3: request for sponsorship

From: Psycopg Development Team via PostgreSQL Announce <announce-noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: psycopg3: request for sponsorship
Date: 2020-12-01 14:38:28
Lists: pgsql-announce

Hello,

If you have ever used PostgreSQL with the Python programming language you will be familiar with psycopg2: the most used adapter between the two systems.

My name is Daniele and I have personally maintained this project in the past ten years, making it the de-facto standard for bridging Python and PostgreSQL, thanks to its reliability and features richness.

During this time as maintainer I have been listening to the use cases and pain points of a huge number of developers, attempting to fulfil their needs where possible and gaining understanding of the problems that cannot be solved easily within the current psycopg2 architecture.

A few months ago, I started the development of psycopg2's successor: psycopg3. This new version maintains a similar API, in order to offer a clear learning and migration path, but embraces the new features available in both PostgreSQL and Python, while addressing the shortcomings that psycopg2 cannot fix without breaking backwards compatibility.

Recently I have taken a leap of faith to develop this project full time in lieu of regular employment: I owe a lot to the free software world, which has provided me with tools and knowledge that I utilise every day. I would therefore like to give back to the community in the form of developing and releasing psycopg3.

What I am hoping to do is to focus solely on this project, in order to develop it full time, without the hindrance of managing a regular job. My goal is to release the new version in a few months from now and, in order to achieve this, I would like to ask the people using PostgreSQL in their professional environments to sponsor its development and to help me create the perfect tool to integrate Python and PostgreSQL.

You can find more information about the project at <https://www.psycopg.org/psycopg3/>.

Should you require any further information, please feel free to get in touch anytime.

Thanks very much - I look forward to hearing from you soon!

--
Daniele Varrazzo