Re: git: uh-oh

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Max Bowsher <maxb(at)f2s(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: git: uh-oh
Date: 2010-09-08 00:40:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Max Bowsher <maxb(at)f2s(dot)com> writes:
> On 08/09/10 00:47, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Max Bowsher <maxb(at)f2s(dot)com> writes:
>>> And, I've just tracked down that this bug was apparently fixed in CVS
>>> 1.11.18, released November 2004.
>>
>> Hrm, what bug exactly? As far as I've gathered from the discussion,
>> this is a fundamental design limitation of CVS, not a fixable bug.

> The bug that CVS represented addition to a branch in a way which didn't
> record when it occurred.

> The way in which it was bludgeoned into the RCS file format was somewhat
> hacky, but was a successful fix.

Well, good for them. But even if we had updated our server to this
version of CVS instantly upon its release, we'd still be looking for
a workaround for the problem in cvs2git, because at least half of the
instances of this problem in our project history predate November 2004.

Do you happen to know details of the format change? Because one
possible solution path seems to be to manually patch the desired
information into the CVS repository before we run cvs2git.