Re: Commit fest queue

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Commit fest queue
Date: 2008-04-10 14:56:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Am Donnerstag, 10. April 2008 schrieb Tom Lane:
>> Another is that the email list provides a
>> "push" mechanism for putting the proposed patch under the noses of a
>> bunch of people, a few of whom will hopefully take a sniff ;-).
>> A tracker is very much more of a "pull" scenario where someone has to
>> actively go looking for pending/proposed changes.

> In my mind the pull mechanism is exactly one of the major features I would
> expect from a proper tracking system, so I can "pull" and work on the issues
> that affect me at a time when it is convenient for me, instead of at the time
> when the "push" happens.

Of course. The point is we need both, since each way scratches a
different itch.

Also, I'm quite hesitant to abandon a working process --- our
email-based procedures have served the project pretty well over the past
ten-plus years, else we'd not be here having this discussion. So, at
least in the beginning, I want to layer any tracking process over what
we already do, not make a big change for unproven results.