Re: Question on triggers and plpgsql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question on triggers and plpgsql
Date: 2005-04-08 18:47:36
Lists: pgsql-sql

Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org> writes:
> I have a lot of processing that could benefit from this type of
> synchronization, except the fact that there's no Pg command to "wait
> until I get a notify message".

This is a client library deficiency, not a problem with the backend or
the protocol. In libpq it is actually possible to do it, but you have
to select() or poll() on the socket for yourself, which is a tad ugly.

OTOH, most apps that want to do that also want to wait on other sockets
at the same time, so a cleaner-looking API wouldn't necessarily be any
more useful.