Re: Issues with factorial operator

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issues with factorial operator
Date: 2007-06-09 14:22:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Jim C. Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org> writes:
> So at the very least the documentation is confusing:

> The type numeric can store numbers with up to 1000 digits of precision
> and perform calculations exactly.

This documentation is outright wrong. The grain of truth behind the
statement is that the parser won't let you declare numeric(N) columns
with N > 1000. But unconstrained numeric can be a lot larger. The
hard limit of the format seems to be 10^128K.

I agree that a CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS in numeric_fac wouldn't be a bad
idea, and we can reject arguments that are clearly going to overflow.