Re: trying to write a many-to-many type function.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Eric Davies <Eric(at)barrodale(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: trying to write a many-to-many type function.
Date: 2006-04-27 21:54:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Eric Davies <Eric(at)barrodale(dot)com> writes:
> As far as I can see, you can't write a set returning function that
> takes a set as input, as in
> select getMetaData( select * from mytable);

> Is a function of the type I'm trying to write even possible in PostgreSQL?

I don't think it's possible at the moment :-(. We've speculated about
ways to relax the restriction that a function in FROM can't take any
non-constant arguments. It appears that adding SQL99's LATERAL and/or
UNNEST features might do it ... I've had a hard time finding any very
clear explanation of their semantics, though, so I'm not entirely sure.