Re: [HACKERS] Runtime Partition Pruning

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com>, amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Runtime Partition Pruning
Date: 2019-05-24 15:20:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 2018-04-10 23:32, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> To figure out, I used the attached patch (not intended for application)
>> to add a backtrace to each log message, plus a couple of accusatory
>> elog() calls in relation_open and ExecSetupPartitionPruneState.

> What do people think about adding something like this errbacktrace()
> from Álvaro's patch to core PostgreSQL? If we could devise a way to
> selectively enable it, it might be an easier way for users to provide
> backtraces from errors.

I think we did discuss it right after that, or somewhere nearby, and
concluded that the output is so imprecise that it's not really going
to be worth whatever portability issues we'd have to deal with.

I'd be all for a better version, but glibc's backtrace() just sucks,
at least given our coding style with lots of static functions.