Can't build postgresql-jdbc-8.2-505 on Fedora 7

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Can't build postgresql-jdbc-8.2-505 on Fedora 7
Date: 2007-04-23 22:50:25
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

So I tried to import 8.2-505 into Red Hat's development tip, and it blew
up on me with errors that look like Java version incompatibilities,
for instance

[javac] 53. ERROR in /builddir/build/BUILD/postgresql-jdbc-8.2.505/org/postgresql/jdbc3g/Jdbc3gArray.java (at line 17)
[javac] public class Jdbc3gArray extends org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Array implements java.sql.Array
[javac] ^^^^^^^^^^^
[javac] The type Jdbc3gArray must implement the inherited abstract method Array.getArray(long, int, Map)
[javac] ----------

[javac] 57. ERROR in /builddir/build/BUILD/postgresql-jdbc-8.2.505/org/postgresql/jdbc3g/Jdbc3gArray.java (at line 24)
[javac] public Object getArray(Map < String, Class < ? >> map) throws SQLException
[javac] ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[javac] Syntax error, parameterized types are only available if source level is 5.0
[javac] ----------

The identical SRPM builds fine on my Fedora Core 6 workstation, although
I notice it says

[echo] Configured build for the JDBC3 edition driver with SSL

where the failed build has

[echo] Configured build for the JDBC3g edition driver with SSL

FC6 has java-1.4.2 where 7 has java-1.5.0.

Not being much of a Java guru, I could use some help fixing this.
As a short-term measure, I'd be happy to de-rate the thing to plain
JDBC3, but am not sure where to poke to make that happen. In the longer
term, what needs to be fixed to make it compatible? Should I be filing
a bug against gcj, or is this a driver portability problem?