Re: Macros bundling RELKIND_* conditions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Macros bundling RELKIND_* conditions
Date: 2017-08-02 18:07:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> The actual error, from the perspective of the user, is something like
>> ERROR: "someview" is a view
>> DETAIL: Views cannot have constraints.

> OK. "%s is a %s" is a reasonable set of errors -- we just need one for
> each relkind. So the first one is easy.

> But the second one is not easy, because we'd need one message per
> relkind per operation kind. We cannot possibly write/translate that
> many messages. If we make the relkind generic in the errdetail message,
> maybe it can work; something like "Relations of that type cannot have
> constraints" would work, for example. Or "Relations of type "view"
> cannot have constraints", although this reads very strangely. Maybe
> someone has a better idea?

I think Peter's got the error and the detail backwards. It should be
more like

ERROR: "someview" cannot have constraints
DETAIL: "someview" is a view.

If we do it like that, we need one ERROR message per error reason,
and one DETAIL per relkind, which should be manageable.

A more verbose approach is

ERROR: "someview" cannot have constraints
DETAIL: "someview" is a view, which is not a supported kind of relation
for this purpose.