Re: "an SQL" vs. "a SQL"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "an SQL" vs. "a SQL"
Date: 2021-06-10 15:24:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 at 02:53, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Indeed. I think this is entirely pointless; there's zero hope that
>> any consistency you might establish right now will persist very long.

> hmm. Yet we do have other standards which we do manage to maintain.

If there were some semblance of an overall consensus on the spelling,
I'd be fine with weeding out the stragglers. But when the existing
usages are only about 2-to-1 in one direction or the other, I feel
quite confident in predicting that incoming patches are often going
to get this wrong. Especially so if the convention you want to
establish in the docs is contrary to the majority usage in the code
comments --- how is that not going to confuse people?