Re: BUG #6578: Deadlock in libpq after upgrading from 8.4.7 to 8.4.11

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: rnysmile(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6578: Deadlock in libpq after upgrading from 8.4.7 to 8.4.11
Date: 2012-04-11 01:04:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

rnysmile(at)yahoo(dot)com writes:
> This month, we upgrade the libpq5 from 8.4.7 to 8.4.11.(libpq-dev
> 8.4.11-0ubuntu0.11.04) Our service program become unstable after upgrading.

It seems rather improbable that a deadlock inside glibc would be our
bug. Also, I've just looked very carefully through all the diffs
between 8.4.7 and 8.4.11 (or at least, all the diffs affecting libpq)
and I don't see anything that could plausibly lead to this behavior.

> After search the mailing list, we found someone else have the similar
> problem:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2011-03/msg00895.php

I can't help observing that that person is also using ubuntu, and that
we have not heard similar complaints from anybody else. Ubuntu-specific
glibc bug perhaps? A slightly different theory is an ubuntu-specific
openssl bug; if there were something wrong in the internal locking
in libcrypto, it could well lead to a backtrace like this.