Re: [BUGS] General Bug Report: TEMP TABLES becomes permanent CATALOG TABLES

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ricardo Coelho <rcoelho(at)px(dot)com(dot)br>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] General Bug Report: TEMP TABLES becomes permanent CATALOG TABLES
Date: 1999-07-03 15:28:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> I think I may know the cause. The at_exit removal of the temp tables is
> taking place in a failed transaction. Let me test that idea tomorrow.

Take a look at the code for cleaning up the listen/notify table
(Async_UnlistenOnExit() in backend/commands/async.c). It used to
have problems with cleaning up when the last transaction executed
by the backend had failed. I fixed that by aborting any old transaction
and starting/committing a new one. I believe that any at_exit,
on_shmem_exit, etc routine that tries to perform database changes will
need to be coded similarly.