Re: I am NOT a programmer!

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I am NOT a programmer!
Date: 2012-05-10 17:07:09
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thursday, May 10, 2012 08:43:30 AM Shawn Matthews wrote:
Do I have to be a programmer to install PostgreSQL, working
from the C prompt?
If so, where should I start to learn any of these basics so that I can get up
and running as quickly as possible.
You don't need to be a programmer. You will need to learn some systems
administration skills. In particular, getting reliable backups will require
setup and regular testing/verification. You cannot just back up the running
system with a generic backup program and expect it to work.
Presumably someone does systems work for your company now, possibly you could
ask them?
I can't really advise on how to learn genuine Windows sysadmin skills. Any
attempt I've made has usually ended in defenestration. In general, however,
the best way to learn is to do something that needs to get done. And Google is
always your friend. Pretty much no matter what problem you run into, someone
else has had it before and has posted about it somewhere.
In terms of setting up and running PostgreSQL, the documentation online is
excellent, if somewhat Unix-centric.