Re: Should we remove a fallback promotion? take 2

From: Hamid Akhtar <hamid(dot)akhtar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Should we remove a fallback promotion? take 2
Date: 2020-06-02 18:38:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

make installcheck-world: tested, passed
Implements feature: not tested
Spec compliant: not tested
Documentation: not tested

I've applied the v2 patch on the master branch. There some hunks, but the patch got applied. So, I ran make installcheck-world and everything looks fine to me with this patch. Though, I do have a few suggestions in general:

(1) I see two functions being used (a) CheckPromoteSignal and (b) IsPromoteSignaled in the code. Should these be combined into a single function and perhaps check for "promote_signaled" and the "PROMOTE_SIGNAL_FILE". Not sure if doing this will break "sigusr1_handler" in postmaster.c though.

(2) CheckPromoteSignal is checking for "PROMOTE_SIGNAL_FILE" file. So, perhaps, rather than calling stat on "PROMOTE_SIGNAL_FILE" in if statements, I would suggest to use CheckPromoteSignal function instead as it does nothing but stat on "PROMOTE_SIGNAL_FILE" (after applying your patch).

The new status of this patch is: Waiting on Author