Re: Fixing findDependentObjects()'s dependency on scan order (regressions in DROP diagnostic messages)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fixing findDependentObjects()'s dependency on scan order (regressions in DROP diagnostic messages)
Date: 2019-01-17 21:54:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> I propose that we handle this case by adding a new DEPFLAG_IS_SUBOBJECT
> flag to the column object's flags, denoting that we know the whole table
> will be dropped later. The only effect of this flag is to suppress
> reporting of the column object in reportDependentObjects.

Here's a proposed patch for that bit. As expected, it seems to eliminate
the variation in number-of-cascaded-drops-reported under
ignore_system_indexes. I do not see any regression outputs change
otherwise.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
dont-report-subobjects-duplicatively-1.patch text/x-diff 2.6 KB