Re: BUG #1161: User permissions are kept, even if user is

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Martin <martin(at)4finger(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Bugs List <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1161: User permissions are kept, even if user is
Date: 2004-06-09 04:38:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> writes:
> So the only problem is to implement system-wide "cluster" sequences...

We certainly can't extend the regular CREATE SEQUENCE command this way;
you can't create shared objects after initdb.

The "clean" way to handle this would be to extend the bootstrap command
parser to accept a command along the lines of CREATE [SHARED] SEQUENCE
and then add a file in src/include/catalog that defines the shared
user-id-generator sequence. (Look at how pg_shadow is created for
precedent.)

Not having looked recently, I have no idea how much pain is implied by
the preceding paragraph ;-). I'd be willing to accept cruder
compromises if that approach seems impractical, but please look to see
if it can be done nicely first.