Re: pgsql: Add kqueue(2) support to the WaitEventSet API.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rémi Zara <remi_zara(at)mac(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add kqueue(2) support to the WaitEventSet API.
Date: 2020-02-24 19:27:48
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> On 2020-Feb-24, Tom Lane wrote:
>> We could also consider a HINT, along the lines of "Raise the server's
>> max_files_per_process and/or \"ulimit -n\" limits." This again has
>> the ambiguity about which server, and it also seems dangerously
>> platform-specific.

> Maybe talk about "the local server" to distinguish from the other one.

OK by me.

> As for the platform dependencies, I see two main options: make the hint
> platform-specific (i.e have #ifdef branches per platform) or make it
> even more generic, such as "file descriptor limits".

I thought about platform-specific messages, but it's not clear to me
whether our translation infrastructure will find messages that are
inside #ifdefs ... anyone know? If that does work, I'd be inclined
to mention ulimit -n on non-Windows and just say nothing about that
on Windows. "File descriptor limits" seems too unhelpful here.