Re: strange problem with ip6

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: strange problem with ip6
Date: 2007-05-17 23:42:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca> writes:
> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 02:39:55PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> It seems the correct solution here is to extend the inet type to support
>> RFC4007 "zone_id" strings. Yech. Not going to happen as a bug fix,
>> but we should probably put it on the TODO list.
>>
>> As a temporary workaround, should we hack the server to suppress any
>> %-foo found in the result of getnameinfo()?

> Well, Christian's point about scoped versus global addresses is a
> good one, so there might be an argument for leaving it alone, on the
> grounds that you ought not to be able to come from there. On the
> other hand, since people are tripping over the feature right now,
> they obviously _are_ able to come from there. So maybe just hacking
> it up is the best answer for the time being.

Agreed, and done. I found btw that "fe80::something%lo0" works
perfectly well in pg_hba.conf ... so there are parts of the code
able to handle this already.

> (I'm slightly more
> concerned that the inet datatype apparently has this issue too,
> because it would seem that it's rejecting perfectly well-formed
> input, which is surely bad.)

Well, let's be clear: this is entirely the fault of the inet type not
accepting what we now know to be RFC-compliant address specifications.
So we ought to put fixing that on the TODO list. It's not happening
for 8.3 though, let alone in existing release branches, so we'd best
put in a workaround until it's there.