Re: create_help.pl treats <literal> as replaceable

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: create_help.pl treats <literal> as replaceable
Date: 2022-05-17 15:09:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I found it annoying that sql_help.c contains a literal parameter as a
> translatable string.

> The cause is that create_help.pl treats <literal>match</> as a
> replaceable. The attached excludes literals from translatable strings.

> By a quick look it seems to me that the "match" in "COPY.. HEADER
> match" is the first and only instance of a literal parameter as of
> PG15.

Isn't that a documentation bug rather than a problem with create_help?
I see what you're talking about:

HEADER [ <replaceable class="parameter">boolean</replaceable> | <literal>match</literal> ]

but that just seems flat-out wrong. If "match" is a keyword it should
be rendered like other keywords. I'm not very interested in splitting
hairs about whether the grammar thinks it is a keyword --- it looks like
one to a user. So I think

HEADER [ <replaceable class="parameter">boolean</replaceable> | MATCH ]

would be a better solution.