Re: new feature: LDAP database name resolution

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Albe Laurenz <all(at)adv(dot)magwien(dot)gv(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: new feature: LDAP database name resolution
Date: 2006-02-28 16:37:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I would still much prefer to see remote config fetching done in a more
> general way, using say libcurl (which handles ldap just fine if openldap
> is available). Then we could fetch the config from a variety of sources,
> not just ldap.

What other cases are actually interesting? How much code do we save
if we use libcurl instead of homegrown LDAP-accessing code? Does
libcurl bring in any secondary dependencies, or have limitations of
its own (thread safety is one obvious point to ask about)?

Depending on an outside library isn't free, so I think the tradeoff
has to be considered carefully.