BUG #15786: Matching version issue between postgres.exe and initdb.exe

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: mvid(at)servoy(dot)com
Subject: BUG #15786: Matching version issue between postgres.exe and initdb.exe
Date: 2019-04-29 21:46:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 15786
Logged by: Marian Vid
Email address: mvid(at)servoy(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 11.2
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro x64, English version

Hello,
there is a problem related to postgresql v11.2 (the problem is not
reproducing with v10.7 nor 9.6.12). I've tested only 64 bit versions.

I've downloaded (https://www.enterprisedb.com/download-postgresql-binaries)
and unzipped three binary versions as follows:

c:\Postgresql_9.6.12\pgsql
c:\Postgresql_10.7\pgsql
c:\Postgresql 11.2\pgsql

On each path I've run the following command:

bin\initdb.exe -D test_db -E UNICODE -U DBA

On 9.6.12 and 10.7 the following (successful) output has been obtained:
"...
Success. You can now start the database server using:

"bin\pg_ctl" -D "test_db" -l logfile start
"

However, on 11.2 the following error appear:

"The program "postgres" was found by
"c:/Postgresql_11.2/pgsql/bin/initdb.exe"
but was not the same version as initdb.
Check your installation."

While checking the possible cause for this error, an issue was came up
between initdb and postgres matching versions.
On each path I've check the postgres and initdb version using

bin\postgres.exe -V
bin\initdb.exe -V

I've got:

postgres (PostgreSQL) 9.6.12 on both postgres.exe and initdb.exe - for
version 9.6.12
postgres (PostgreSQL) 10.7 on both postgres.exe and initdb.exe - for
version 10.7
postgres (PostgreSQL) 11.2 for initdb.exe - for version 11.2

But for bin\postgres.exe -V (11.2 version) I've got the following output:

WARNING: 01000: could not determine encoding for locale "English_United
States.utf8": codeset is "CPutf8"
LOCATION: pg_get_encoding_from_locale,
d:\pginstaller.auto\postgres.windows-x64\src\port\chklocale.c:416
postgres (PostgreSQL) 11.2

You may notice that there are three lines of messages, the last one being
the version.

I've tested on three different Windows 10 x64 OS, and the problem is
reproducing only on one system.
Please, provide your feedback.

Regards
Marian Vid