Re: Several tags around PostgreSQL 7.1 broken

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Several tags around PostgreSQL 7.1 broken
Date: 2008-04-02 21:49:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> - --On Wednesday, April 02, 2008 18:08:05 +0200 Peter Eisentraut
> <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>> I believe we moved to using cvs export many years after 7.1. Before that,
>> the releases were made straight out of a cvs checkout. With cvs export it
>> is of course nearly impossible to create such a mess.

> 'k, you need to explain this one to me ... how does export affect what files
> are tag'd?

It doesn't, of course. What it does do is guarantee that the tarball
matches the tag that has already been laid down in CVS.

But there must have been more to it than that. Peter is reporting
that the tag is on mutually inconsistent versions of some files;
which means that the problem was with the tagging operation more than
with the tarball-making.