Re: A different approach to extension NO USER DATA feature

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A different approach to extension NO USER DATA feature
Date: 2011-02-07 15:15:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 4:18 AM, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
>> Or do you want to keep some generality here?

> I think it might be slightly advantageous to keep some generality,

Yeah. I had also thought about hard-wiring the WHERE clause, but
there's at least one big objection to that: it fails to cover cases
where there's no need for a flag column because all the entries are
user-provided.

The catalog representation I'd been thinking of was a regclass[] array
for the table names and a text[] array of the same length for the WHERE
clauses. It's slightly ugly but no big deal. There are likely to be
some other array columns in pg_extension before we're done, anyway ---
one I'd been thinking about a bit was OIDs of modules this one depends
on. The current design doesn't cope very well with modules that depend
on other ones.