Re: prevent encoding conversion recursive error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: prevent encoding conversion recursive error
Date: 2005-08-04 14:46:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

"Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu> writes:
> As this thread reports (some sever messages are in Chinese):
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2005-07/msg00247.php
> a SQL grammar error could crash the error stack.

Hmm, I thought we had fixed that years ago.

> To fix this, we just change errmsg() to errmsg_internal() to avoid
> tranlation which could stop the recursion at step 2.

This is a really ugly solution ... and I don't think it solves the
general problem anyway, since this isn't the only possible error message.

I don't seem to have gotten the original problem report, and the archive
page is pretty useless because all the non-ASCII characters have gotten
changed to "?". Could you post a self-contained example case? Might be
best to wrap it as a compressed attachment so it doesn't get munged in
transmission.