Re: no test programs in contrib

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: no test programs in contrib
Date: 2014-11-27 20:51:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So test_decoding is fairly useful for users demonstrating that decoding
> works, especially if they're also testing an external decoding module
> and are unsure of where their replication problem is located, or what's
> wrong with their HBA settings. For that reason it's important that
> test_decoding be available via OS packages, which would give me some
> reluctance to move it out of /contrib.

If we follow that reasoning we'll end up removing nothing from contrib.
There is no reason that end users should need to be performing such
testing; anyone who does have reason to do it will have a source tree
at hand.

> dummy_seclabel might serve the same purpose for users who are having
> issues with SEPostgres etc. I don't know enough about it ...

And as for dummy_seclabel, the same applies in spades, considering
that the number of users of SEPostgres can probably be counted without
running out of fingers.