Re: Maximum length of a query

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Matthew V(dot)" <deusmech(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Maximum length of a query
Date: 2003-02-06 21:02:41
Lists: pgsql-general

"Matthew V." <deusmech(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> What is the maximum length of a query nowadays? Back in 1998, it was 8192
> bytes,

That was a long time ago ;-). There has been no hard-wired upper limit
for several releases now.

[ It's rather amusing to watch MySQL's crashme test trying to discover
our maximum query length. At least on my machine, the Perl process
running crashme hits the kernel's per-process memory limit and dies,
while the backend it's talking to is still comfortably under the limit.
I wonder whether MySQL regards that as a test failure ... ]