Re: Converting from MS Access field aliases

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joel Richard <postgres(at)joelrichard(dot)com>
Cc: sql pgsql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Converting from MS Access field aliases
Date: 2007-07-12 17:48:40
Lists: pgsql-sql

Joel Richard <postgres(at)joelrichard(dot)com> writes:
> What's really screwy is what I found when I hooked access into my
> PostgreSQL database using pgsqlODBC (I know, it's an abomination) and
> I logged the statements that PostgreSQL was processing. In MS Access
> this query:

> SELECT foo AS bar, bar * 2 AS gleep FROM table;

> became this in PostgreSQL's logs

> SELECT foo FROM table;

> Vewwy Intewesting!

Yeah, that *is* interesting --- it means Access is trying to do all the
arithmetic for itself. I guess this means that you could keep using
the statements unchanged if you wanted to use Access as a frontend to
Postgres. Of course you're trying to get away from that, but this
might at least give you a chance of fixing things incrementally instead
of having to fix everything all at once.