Re: Suggestions please: names for function cachabilityattributes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Suggestions please: names for function cachabilityattributes
Date: 2002-04-13 15:34:34
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> Basically I'd like to write

> CREATE FUNCTION name (args, ...) RETURNS type
> AS '...'
> LANGUAGE foo
> STATIC
> IMPLICIT CAST

> (where everything after RETURNS can be in random order).

No strong objection here; but you'll still have to accept the old syntax
for backwards compatibility with existing dump scripts. I also worry
that this will end up forcing us to reserve a lot more keywords. Not so
much for CREATE FUNCTION, but in CREATE OPERATOR, CREATE DOMAIN and
friends I do not think you'll be able to do this without making the
keywords reserved (else how do you tell 'em from parts of typenames
and expressions?).

Given that it's not gonna be SQL-spec anyway, I'm not entirely sure
I see the point of changing.