Re: Issue with UPDATE statement on v8

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kenneth Hutchinson" <kenneth(dot)hutchinson(at)mpfyieldstar(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issue with UPDATE statement on v8
Date: 2005-09-22 20:48:10
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Kenneth Hutchinson" <kenneth(dot)hutchinson(at)mpfyieldstar(dot)com> writes:
> UPDATE t_summary
> SET availability = 7
> WHERE oid = 28245084

> When this query is executed (within a function or without) the database
> will simply hang.

Is it really hung, or just taking an awfully long time? If the backend
is consuming no CPU or I/O then I'd agree it's the former; please look
into the pg_locks view to see if you can find out what it's waiting for.
If it's the latter, maybe you neglected to create an index on OID?

> Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

We'd certainly have heard about it if so. But you haven't provided
enough info to let anyone reproduce the problem for investigation.