Re: EXPLAIN EXECUTE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: EXPLAIN EXECUTE
Date: 2003-01-09 21:53:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I notice that you can't explain stored plans, i.e., EXPLAIN EXECUTE.
> Might be handy to have.

Yeah, that was on my to-fix list also. There is more reason to have
this than just completeness: as things stand, EXPLAIN cannot teach you
anything about what the planner does with parameterized queries ---
which arise not only in PREPARE, but in SQL and plpgsql functions.
EXPLAIN EXECUTE would make it possible to look at parameterized plans.