Re: Redhat's "enhancements" to PG

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Guy Fraser <guy(at)incentre(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Redhat's "enhancements" to PG
Date: 2003-06-28 04:36:50
Lists: pgsql-general

> CSN wrote:
>> Does anybody know what Redhat's enhancements to
>> PostgreSQL are? From their web pages, it appears to be
>> an installer and graphical interface (phppgadmin?).

The RHDB version of PG 7.2.* included a number of moderately-significant
bug fixes back-ported from the community 7.3.* branch. There weren't
any other changes to the database proper. The package also has several
add-on tools, all written from scratch by Red Hat (if you can't tell the
differences from phppgadmin, you haven't actually looked closely).
Whether you consider the add-on tools to be useful enhancements is yours
to decide. Please note though that the add-ons are all released under
GPL license --- you cannot accuse RH of keeping anything to themselves.

The RHDB version of 7.3.* is presently quite in sync with the community
release, mainly because I have been spending Red-Hat-paid-for time
keeping the community 7.3 branch up-to-date with important patches, and
so there's not much that cries out to be back-ported that you won't find
in the community 7.3.3 release. Their add-on tools are in beta for a
7.3-compatible release, see http://sources.redhat.com/rhdb/

I should note also that I'm not the only member of Red Hat's PG
development project, just the one with the most visibility on these
mailing lists.

regards, tom lane
Red Hat Database project