Re: dblink connection security

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Joe Conway" <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, "pgsql-patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dblink connection security
Date: 2007-07-01 18:08:58
Lists: pgsql-patches

Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> Did you mean s/trust/ident/g, otherwise I don't think I understand the
> above...

Both trust and ident local auth are sources of risk for this, although
ident is particularly nasty since the DBA probably thinks he's being
secure.

For that matter, I'm not sure that *any* auth method except password
offers much security against the problem; don't LDAP and Kerberos
likewise rely mostly on process-level identity? And possibly PAM
depending on which PAM plugin you're using?

I'm not sure whether this is something to back-patch, though, since
a back-patch will accomplish zero for existing installations.