Re: spgist text_ops and LIKE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Subject: Re: spgist text_ops and LIKE
Date: 2012-02-02 03:57:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Is spgist intended to support prefix searches with LIKE?

Too lazy to look at the code right now, but I think indxpath.c contains
hardwired assumptions that LIKE prefix optimizations are only possible
with btree indexes. Possibly it would be worth relaxing that. (The
whole "special index operator" mechanism is undesirably special-purpose,
but I currently have no ideas about how to make it more flexible.)