BUG #15582: ALTER TABLE/INDEX ... SET TABLESPACE does not free disk space

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: ap(at)zip(dot)com(dot)au
Subject: BUG #15582: ALTER TABLE/INDEX ... SET TABLESPACE does not free disk space
Date: 2019-01-09 02:21:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 15582
Logged by: Andrew P
Email address: ap(at)zip(dot)com(dot)au
PostgreSQL version: 11.1
Operating system: Linux/Debian stretch

Hi,

I've added a tablespace recently to help deal with almost running out of
disk space.

I then tried to use it with:

ALTER TABLE schema.table SET TABLESPACE hydro2_tmp;

This worked in so far as disk space was used on hydro2_tmp but nothing was
ever freed in the default location.

I tried a VACUUM FULL but that did not help.

Then I tried moving the indexes belonging to the table but that also did not
help.

Everywhere I've read and everyone I spoke to said that this is a move
operation but it appears to be a copy so, unless I missed something, this
appears to be a bug.

The two table spaces are on separate drives and postgres is from postgres'
apt repository.