Re: An out of memory error when doing a vacuum full

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fernando Schapachnik <fernando(at)mecon(dot)gov(dot)ar>
Cc: Sean Shanny <shannyconsulting(at)earthlink(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: An out of memory error when doing a vacuum full
Date: 2003-12-29 16:57:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Fernando Schapachnik <fernando(at)mecon(dot)gov(dot)ar> writes:
> Take a look at datasize: your processes are allowed a maximum of 512 Mb RAM.
> Read the handbook to find out how to reconfigure your kernel and the limits
> (and/or ulimit) man page to tweak the values for individual processes.

512Mb does not seem like an unreasonable per-process limit (indeed, it
may be too high considering he's got just 4G RAM to go around among all
the processes). So I'd not recommend Sean try to solve the problem by
raising it. The real question is why is the backend getting that big.
I'm suspicious that sort_mem and/or vacuum_mem are set to
unrealistically large values, but we don't have that info yet.