WIP: 2nd-generation buffer ring patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: WIP: 2nd-generation buffer ring patch
Date: 2007-05-29 17:52:08
Lists: pgsql-patches

Updated version of Heikki's buffer ring patch, as per my comments here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-05/msg00449.php

The COPY IN part of the patch is not there, pending resolution of
whether we think it adds enough value to be worth uglifying
heap_insert's API for. Also, I tentatively reduced the threshold
at which heapscans switch to ring mode to NBuffers/16; that probably
needs more thought. Lastly, I haven't done anything about making
non-btree indexes honor the access strategy during VACUUM scans.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
buffer-ring-2.patch.gz application/octet-stream 15.0 KB