Re: tablespace and sequences?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tablespace and sequences?
Date: 2004-08-19 14:21:34
Lists: pgsql-cygwin pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> writes:
> Just call that a kludge as it means that the admin is expected to create
> as many dummy and unknown (if you have a custom dump file)
> tablespaces

There are any number of ways to find it out --- read the output of
"pg_restore -s", or just try the restore and observe the errors.
Besides which, we are talking here about the output of pg_dumpall,
which is currently always text.

> Then bad news, ISTM that altering the tablespace of an index, a sequence
> or a schema is not implemented.

Wrong, unnecessary, and trivial respectively.

I see this request as being exactly on a par with requests to make
pg_dumpall output restore into a different set of databases, or
into a different set of schemas than what was dumped from. Sure,
it would be convenient sometimes. But it's not *necessary* and it's
not something to be starting in on when we're already well into beta.

Could we have less straw-man-bashing and more discussion of the minimum
necessary solution for this problem? It's long past time to be gilding
the lily for 8.0. You can give it a new paint job in 8.1, if you like.