Re: 8.4 open items list

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.4 open items list
Date: 2009-04-03 16:02:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The other "existing" bugs I think relate to extreme corner cases (e.g.
> ENUMs of DOMAINS) and/or may be feature requests rather than bugs (e.g.
> Cover Density Ranking) so I think can safely be put off until 8.4.1 or
> later.

As far as the polymorphic-functions-vs-domains issue goes: I don't agree
that it could be fixed in a minor release. It will change the set of
possible matches to ambiguous functions and thus could cause unexpected
application breakage. I think it's major-release material only.

However, having gone over the issue again, I think that it's also not
a small patch :-(. The thing that is concerning me is that the code
effects are not limited to the parser, as I'd first thought. For
example, all the enum support functions in enum.c assume that what
get_fn_expr_argtype() will give them is the OID of an enum type,
not of some domain over an enum type. So we'd have to look not only
at the parser but at every function accepting ANYENUM or ANYARRAY,
to see if it should be taught to look through domains.

So I'm now leaning to the position that this one is too late for 8.4,
and we should just push it to the TODO list.